Writing Blurbs

blurb (n.) A brief publicity notice, as on a book jacket. This is the definition according to Webster's dictionary. All though I use it somewhat out of context, ("Hey you have a little blurb of something on your shirt." "There was a blurb about that on the radio." )it seems to be a fairly popular word, and I like saying it. So here you have it...My Writing Blurbs..

Monday, August 07, 2006

Family Foes

So, this weekend I came to a realization with the family. Since I've been married to a man I fell in love with 6 years ago, my family has had a vendetta against him. Generally when a husband and wife marry, they start their own family without having to report back all of the life news back to their parents or siblings. Well, coming from a very large family, they thrive on being around one another. Most of the married couples seem to lack the enjoyment of each other's company and they are happiest surrounded by other people. For me and my husband, it's just the opposite. We enjoy each other's company and we don't need to be around a lot of people. So when I began spending most all my time with my husband, I received the heat.

Not only did my family seem to dissprove of the relationship, they accused my husband of brainwashing me. To explain... I was introduced to God and gave my life over to Him. My husband did not hold a knife to my throat forcing anything, I wanted the change, I needed the change. It wasn't as if I became a criminal and starting robbing stores (this may have been accepted from my family), I became a Christian. From there, I was beaten down, questioned and told that I didn't care about them anymore. So, they disrespected my choices in life and my husband. Here's the best part, they even came down on me about how I'm raising my child! (I have a daughter from a previous husband at the age of 17). I've been told, "You can't shelter her forever." "You're too hard on her". Oh, and they can't stand that I actually spank her. OH! Is this a crime?? Apparently in most households today it is a no, no. Well, guess what... children need it! (I'll save disipline for another time). Because I had my daughter young, I did get their help to get me through. I appreciated what they did, but ever since I set forth on my own to raise her by myself, they still felt they had a claim on her. "We're all like her mother" Oh no you're not, she is mine and I am raising her now. This was unacceptable to say the least. Bottom line; I realize that I had to make a choice, to either be devoted to my husband and stand up for him and our lives OR keep on taking the family bashing? Mmmm.. It became clear to me yesterday, and I know that even if my family hasn't been as harsh in the past few years, the cut still stings and I find myself being very guarded everytime I'm with them. The only way I'll get their approval is to go back to my old ways, and that is not who I am anymore. Hopefully someday they will realize this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home